Monday, April 13, 2015

God and Ethics

How does God affect the nature of ethics? For some people claim that an atheist has no objective morality. I’m assuming this claim doesn’t infer that an atheist is a savage of some sort. Regardless, ethics is a rational standard for behavior. Evolution has provided each creature with a means to accomplish its ends, which for the most part is survival. And as the earth is the only place in the observable universe with life, we all have the possibility of interaction, since the earth is a finite object. Obviously some general rules would be a natural outcome of the circumstances.

Though I advocate a rather broad ethical standard, something along the lines of not doing harm to others, I can understand any other ethical standards, granted it is sensible. All the religions and philosophies that advocate some kind of ethical system are concerned with the human condition and its maintenance. As a human, there are things I need and things I want; and there are particular ways in which to accomplish these ends. The existence or non-existence of God has no fundamental effect on how I must live in order to live comfortably. I believed in God as a child, and now I do not. This change in my understanding of reality hasn’t altered my need for food, air, water, and other vital functions.

I mean, how could I not possess a knowledge which I claim and prove to have? I don’t have to believe in God to understand the words in the the bible, what the ten commandments are, what laws are, what the constitution is, etc. I just believe a synthesis of different philosophies is closer to the truth. And I prefer more literal explanations for my reality; religions are far too metaphorical for my taste. Ultimately all ethical dilemmas are circumstantial. The outcome will always depend on the mind’s understanding of reality and the possible motions of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment